Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Simplifying things a bit - Part I

What was supposed to be an attempt at cost cutting... isn't...  and this wet-shaving thing is easily becoming a money pit.  I have to take a close look at what I have, what I use and what I am just storing in an attempt to clear out some of the excess and simplify...

Step One.. the inventory   At present my collection is pretty deep...  it was never meant to be a collection, btw...

Razors....
  • Merkur Futur
  • Merkur Mergress XL
  • iKon stainless Deluxe Open Comb with stainless Bulldog handle
  • Hoffritz Slant Bar with a neat black anodized Ultra Light handle from Bob's Razor Works
  • 1954 SuperSpeed
  • Hoffritz vintage Slant going out for repair
  • Gillette/American Button Company Open Comp travel set, not in rotation
  • Muhle R41 Open Comb, on it's way to me from overseas
  • Feather Artist Club RG straight
  • ...and a few other travel sets that don't go in rotation and too many blades to list
It appears to me that I prefer the more aggressive razors with the Slant Bars and Open Combs at the top of my rotation list.. interesting that I didn't realize that until I made the above inventory...

Brushes..
  • Vintage Hoffritz Pure Badger...it's a long skinny flopper of a brush.. very loosely packed.  Clear lucite handle..  I poo-poo'd this brush for a while but truth told, I really like it.
  • Penworks Silvertip.. it's a fatty..  Big and soft.  Pink acrylic in a persian jar shape.  Generates and holds lots of lather.  I bought it from a member of The Shave Den and I love it!!
  • iKon Stainless Steel Silvertip, Grade A..  Specs on this are about the same as the Penworks but this bad boy weighs a ton.  And the stainless handle, though comfortable, holds heat a bit too well and using the brush after soaking it in hot water is a painful affair
  • Shea Moisture Pure Badger, aka Target Special.. an awesome brush for the price.. Oh, I didn't pay for this brush.. got it on trade for a Vulfix #9 Boar that I didn't really like.  Not sure if the other person likes the Vulfix as much as I like the SM
  • Frank's Shave Pure Badger with butterscotch persian jar handle.  What a bargain.  I've used it for four consecutive shaves.
Creams and Soaps...the list it getting long
  • Tom's of Maine, Natural Mint.  One tube in rotation and three in stock.  Now discontinued
  • C.O.Bigelow / Proraso..  stripped with eucalyptus and menthol..One in rotation three in inventory
  • Kiehls Lite Shave Cream
  • The Body Shop Macca Root
  • Cella Crema da Barba
  • P.160 Tipo Morbido   Rumored to be discontinued.. One jar in rotation, one in inventory
  • Van Der Hagen Deluxe
  • Speik Shave stick
  • Edwin Jagger Sea Buckthorn
  • Art of Shaving Unscented
Ancillary stuff...
  • A few preshave oils which I find to be an unnecessary step..
  • A jar of pure glycerin.  It's supposed to help with lubrication and lather but I just like the little glass jar I story it in
  • Edwin Jagger After Shave Balm in Sea Buckthorn
  • Very Sexy for Men, AS Balm
  • Kiehls AS balm...a favorite
  • Neat little piggy bank with an ambulance painted on the side used as a blade bank....to hold used blades
  • Big soup bowl for whipping up lather
  • A few mirrors
  • Comb for cleaning the brushes..  there's some irony here..
  • Old toothbrush for cleaning the razors
All this stuff needs to be stored so there are now two cabinets.. a total of three shelves and a draw, dedicated to keeping things orderly..

Okay... now what... ?    This is way too much stuff....

No comments:

Post a Comment