Friday, September 17, 2010

How smooth is Smooth enough?

I am planning to shave with the straight razor this weekend; it will be my second weekend with it and today's shave is the setup for tomorrow.  I decided to go with just a two-pass shave today so I enter tomorrow mornings routine with a bit of a beard to work with.

While my typical shave is a three-pass affair with some touch-up (First pass is With The growth Grain-WTG, Second is Across The Grain- XTG and the final goes Against The Grain-ATG ), today I skipped the ATG pass.  A three pass shave usually leaves me as smooth as a baby's butt and a two pass, though far better than what I could get from any cartridge, leaves me with a great smooth face...not quite BBS, but a damn fine shave none the less...

Not the first time I have done a two-pass shave, mind you...  What I find, quite consistently, is that the two pass gives me an absolutely wonderful shave and I wonder if chasing BBS is all that necessary...

Now, this morning I used a Bluebird Hi-Stainless Double Edge blade in the iKon Open Comb razor.. the blade is on day five so it isn't the sharpest thing, and the open comb is a notch more aggressive than other closed comb razors so by all rights, this shave should have bordered on miserable, yet the shave is just superb.  I threw away the Bluebird blade...probably had a few more shaves in it...

Note to self... iKon Deluxe Open Comb, with Bluebird blade...  Grade-A shave!!

No comments:

Post a Comment