Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The lost art of shaving

Over the years I have tried to make what is otherwise a laborious, oft painful event into something enjoyable, but the act of shaving my face never seemed to be something I looked forward to.  A sad fact considering the frequency with which I have to shave...

With the resurgence of wet-shaving, I now welcome each days shave and treat it as an event...a ritual of pleasure that I anticipate and savour...

Wet-Shaving has a pretty broad definition, but it's focus is on old style double edge (DE), single edge (SE) and straight razors (str8's) in tandem with creams and soaps made from more natural ingredients and don't come from a can.

I've always had a love for new things that look and feel old and old things made to look new again, so the nostalgic nature of the implements of wet-shaving are a natural attraction for me.

I have made numerous feeble attempts at shaving in this manner with the obligatory shave brush and some glycerin soap and even a few DE razors my father gave me, but I never had technique and the result was lackluster.  I always reverted back to the multi-bladed cartridge razors and canned goo.

A few months ago I was chatting with a good friend who mentioned he was using a DE which led me to a bit of research on-line and a week later, I made the jump.  My Mach III razor has sat unused since then, as my inventory of soaps, creams, brushes and razors has overwhelmed the master bath and my shaves have never been better.  Better. Closer.  More enjoyable, less expensive and at this point completely free of irritation, stubble and blood loss.

Now, this blog isn't about wet-shaving...at least it wasn't... but I have taken to documenting each days shave as a means of tracking which razor, blade, brush and balm seem to work best and as part of this I am photographing the setups...  using either my iPhone or my (new to me) Canon G9.  (I could never fully explain toting my tripod and light stands into the bathroom..)

5 comments:

  1. Hi Michael-

    I enjoyed your whimsical post. I'm sure you could find a plethora of items to photograph in the bathroom utilizing your tripod and light stands. Go for it! ;)

    G.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike
    Where do I get this razor from? I tried to get a double edged razor in the drug store to no avail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @G..there is no shortage if items to photograph.. the shortage is on credible explanations for spending such a long time in the bathroom!!

    @Jack..Double edge razors are rarely going to be found in a drugstore. While Amazon is a decent source, there are numerous websites devoted to wet-shaving.. My favorites.. WestCoastShaving.com, Bullgooseshaving.net and local to the you is LeesRazors.com. Prices run from under $10 to as much as $300. The one pictured is a Mergress XL, available in limited quantities for about $80.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michael
    You have taken the mundane and made it interesting and I for one am going to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. G
    You are inspiring my friend. Please keep it up.

    ReplyDelete