Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Crabs in a bucket...

There’s an old parable about crabs in a bucket.

If you put a crab in a bucket and it can climb out of that bucket, it will climb out. But if you put 2 crabs in the bucket, when one of the crabs tries to climb out, the other will pull it back in. Neither will ever escape. It doesn’t matter that it’s possible to escape, the crabs will hold each other back from doing so.
We’re no different than crabs. It’s a sad part of the society we’re living in. When one independent freedom seeker tries to “climb out of the bucket” the rest of the herd will try to pull him/her back in.
  • Teachers are guilty of this. (Which is why traditional schooling is a waste.)
  • The media is guilty of this. (Which is why limiting or eliminating your exposure to the news and other media is essential.)
  • Your parents, family members and friends may very well be guilty as well. (They don’t do it on purpose, they’ve been conditioned by teachers and the media.)
I’m not without guilt. I’ve noticed myself doing this on occasion and it’s upsetting to think about. For example, somebody brings an idea to me and I immediately shoot it down. “Ehh, I don’t think that will work.” And you know what? It might not. But who am I to shoot someone down?

I’m supposed to be supportive of my friends, family, and business partners.

So from now on, if a friend comes to me with an idea, instead of shooting it down if I think maybe it’s not doable I’ll say “Hmm, I’m not sure I can help, but don’t listen to me. What steps can you take right now to make it happen? And how do you think I can help?”

Just think of the possibilities if we all supported those close to us in this way.

While it’s obvious that the majority of the population will never cross over from the dark side, I know because of the snowball effect that the more we support each other the more we’ll support each other.

Written by Karol

No comments:

Post a Comment