Friday, August 27, 2010

A moment of magic with Apple...

I'm still in love with my iPhone.. it's been over a year and I doubt I have come close to tapping into more than 25% of what it can do..and it's near bullet-proof.  Sort of...

I caved in a few months ago and made the decision to jail-break my phone..  Not sure why but it seemed like a good thing to do.  But as the days past, I realized that since all I accomplished was uncovering more untapped resources, when the next OS update Apple rolled out for the 3Gs I would revert back to factory spec.

Never as easy as others tell you it will be....

As I was told, the path back to factory goodness would only require that I follow the factory OS update in iTunes and it would overwrite the jail-break and return me to factory settings, but this didn't seem to work.  As part of the update, iTunes performs a backup of the phones data and the iPhone would take about ten hours to back-up and ultimately fail.  Hmmmm..not good.

So, a call to Apple Care was in order.  Now, my iPhone is jail-broken, I sync with two different PC's (client data on one PC and media library on another), my phone is a year old and...I use a PC, not Mac.

Tech guy from Apple named Sid gets on the line says... "hhmmmm, Michael, your phone is over a year old and we provide unlimited support for the first 90days, unless you purchased Apple Care, which you didn't.  And, um, dude, your warranty expired 44 days ago..."

I fully expected that this was going to be a moment of misery...it was going to cost me.

Sid says... "Dude, what seems to be the issue?  Maybe I can help".

I explain what's happening and Sid says... "wow, bogus..those backups are taking..like...forever, eh?...  cool thing though...We have an exception on anything OS related, so let's get you fixed"

We hit a few speed bumps because of my dual sync, but in the end, after a few clicks, in try whiz-bang fashion that is Apple, I was restored and updated...better than new.

Every experience I have with Apple turns out to be fantastic...  Gotta call my accountant and see if I have clearance to replace all the PC's... with Mac's....

Kudos to Apple!!

No comments:

Post a Comment