Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Today's Shave...


~ Today's Shave, October 5th, 2010 ~

Cream/Soap: C.O Bigelow/Proraso, bowl lathered
Brush: Franks Shave, Finest Badger
Razor: iKon Standard, Prototype long handle
Blade:Personna, Red
Balm: Kiehl's

First shave with a new iKon Standard head on the long handle...

I already have an iKon razor in my inventory and used it for most of last week.. I have come to love the iKon line, not only for the shave it can deliver, but for the craftsmanship it exhibits and for it's wonderful ergonomics.  The standard head is much milder than the open comb I have used previously.

It took three passes and a touch up and I still was just shy of a BBS.  I define a Baby Butt Smooth shave as one that can pass the cotton ball test..pass a cotton ball over my skin and have leave no trace.  That's smooth!  What the new iKon delivered was a DFS or Damn Fine Shave.. it won't pass the cotton ball test, but it is light years better than what any cartridge could give me.

Image borrowed from Razor Emporium/iKon Razors
The new iKon has a wonder feel in hand..  The handle is longer and slimmer than my other razors and frankly, I really like it.  The handle is slightly thicker than a large pencil and it's design promotes a much lighter touch, which is one of the key ingredients to a good shave...zero pressure!

The C.O.Bigelow cream is made by Proraso, the famous well known Italian provider of barbershop shave creams, and is rebranded for sale by other vendors.  It has a wonder scent of mint and eucalyptus and it's menthol kick lasts through-out the shave.  Since I have been experimenting with soap sticks, I haven't been lathering with a bowl of late, but this morning was a bit chilly and I am finding that by warming the bowl while I shower not only allows me to soak my brush in hot water, but the ceramic holds and transmits heat to the lather as the brush sits between passes.  There are bowls designed to do exactly this, called scuttles, but I am happy with the arrangement I have...  Simpler is better.

I rate the shave about a three out of five blades..  Proraso, bowl lathered, is a perfect recipe, though I think this cream has a little too much skin-cling for me.  The Frank Shaving brush, till now only face lathered, excels in the bowl.  The iKon standard.. can't lay fault there, I love the size and shape of the handle and the mild approach of this safety razor let me concentrate on the experience as a whole and not have to focus on self preservation.  The shave lost points because of lack of familiarity and what might amounted to poor blade selection as I think a more aggressive blade like a Feather, might balance the razors timidness and render a closer shave...

No comments:

Post a Comment